Exploring hydrothermal vents at Azores archipelago

by   Profile Mares   When 23rd July 2016
Black smoke at the Mid Atlantic Ridge at 2,980 metres depth. (c) MARUM − Zentrum für Marine Umweltwissenschaften, Universität Bremen
The ROV MARUM-QUEST taking temperature measurements at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge at 3,000 metres depth. (c) MARUM − Zentrum für Marine Umweltwissenschaften, Universität Bremen
On board the research vessel Meteor, the ROV MARUM-QUEST is being lowered into the Arabian Sea. (c) MARUM − Zentrum für Marine Umweltwissenschaften, Universität Bremen

Researchers investigate hydrothermal vents on research vessel's 30th anniversary cruise

Welcome to the world of the hydrothermal vents, where organisms frolic
in total darkness within an apparently hostile environment, in waters
hotter than 400 degrees Celsius. Scientists have long considered such
places to be possible locations where life on Earth originated.

It is also here, amid the unique life forms, that plumes of hydrogen
sulphide are emitted from the vents. Bacteria that had existed for
millions of years, forming the basis of the food cycle, can be found
here. Yet, despite this, they remain poorly understood.

Now, on a special 30th anniversary cruise of the research vessel Meteor
to the Azores archipelago, a research team headed by geologist
Christoph Beier of the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, is currently on
board. Aiding in their research is the ROV (remote operated vehicle)
MARUM-QUEST, which will retrieve samples from the vents.

Built in 1986, the Meteor was commissioned for the purpose of
scientific research. It has travelled the world's oceans for 30 years,
enabling researchers to study the ocean, climate and marine creatures
in the water and at the seafloor. Its pursuits have taken it to the
Atlantic, eastern Pacific, West Indian Ocean, the Mediterranean and the
Baltic Sea. In its 30 years of service, it has travelled 1.3 million
nautical miles and served as home to 9,800 scientists.

The construction of the ship was funded by the Federal Ministry of
Education and Research (BMBF). Today, as its owner, it contributes to
30 percent of the cost of the ship’s operations. The remaining 70
percent is handled by the German Research Foundation (Deutsche
Forschungsgemeinschaft). The Meteor’s home port is Hamburg.

Seas and oceans have an enormous significance for the future of our
” said Federal Research Minister Johanna Wanka in German. “This
enables scientists to conduct marine research of international
standards within a modern research infrastructure. That is why we
continuously renew the German research fleet.

Sixteen ships are being showcased as part of Science 2016/2016 on the
website (www.wissenschaftsjahr.de). Using the motto “Discover.
Benefit. Protect. (German: Entdecken. Nutzen. Schützen)”, the BMBF is
inviting the public to attend Open Ship events to get an insight into
their research work, as well as to visit the institution’s marine
research-themed blogs about the life and work on board the vessels.

Further information: www.bmbf.de

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xywO4j7k2g8

Interesting stuff:
When seawater goes underground
High concentrations of gold found in Iceland's geothermal systems

Written by
Profile Mares
When 23rd July 2016
Location Azores, Portugal

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest
The post has no comments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Also by Mares